Prior to excavating, it is necessary to procure valid, accurate locates (click here for more information on utility locates). When working, especially when digging, near gas lines, safety measures must be taken, including:
- Maintaining a safe distance from gas lines (check local legislation to determine the mandated distance)
- Avoiding digging within one metre of either side of the locate markings
- Only operate mechanical compacting equipment or large vibrating equipment within a safe distance of natural gas lines
Fill that is free of large debris must be used when backfilling near gas lines. If you are unsure of the appropriate type of fill, consult with your local gas authority.
In Case of a Gas Emergency
In the event that a line is cut, disturbed, or otherwise damaged:
- Stop work immediately
- DO NOT attempt to control leaking gas, or make repairs
- Get everyone away from the immediate area
- Inform local gas authorities
- Eliminate any ignition sources
- Shut off all vehicles/equipment in the area
- Wait for authorities to repair the damage
Comments are closed.