What is a Thank You Letter?
A Thank You Letter is a useful tool to follow-up with an interview. It is a note (sent via regular post or email) to reiterate your appreciation for being considered for a position with a particular company, and an opportunity to reach out to a potential employer.
What is the Purpose of a Thank You Letter?
A Thank You Letter (or note) is a polite way to thank an interviewer for discussing an open position with their company. Additionally, it is an opportunity to remind prospective employers about your relevant experience, and to reiterate your confidence in your ability to competently fill the position.
Why do I need a Thank You Letter?
Taking the time to complete a simple Thank You Letter can make you stand out amongst other interviewees. It also serves as an opportunity to remind your prospective employer about why you would be a good fit within their company.
How do I complete a Thank You Letter?
To complete a Thank You Letter follow these steps:
- Be sure to include your full name and your contact information at the top of the letter (or email)
- Indicate today’s date
- List the interviewer’s name, title, company, and company address
- Use a formal salutation, such as “Dear” or “Greetings”
- Take the opportunity to thank the interviewer for meeting with you. Use details, including the position interviewed for, or anything else of relevance
- Be sure to iterate your confidence in the ability to competently fill the position. Explain why you’d be a good fit.
- This is a good opportunity to say anything about your experience or abilities if you left it out at the interview
- Personalize the email. Use information that you received from the interview to prove your competency and abilities, if applicable.
- Indicate how you’re able to be reached for further communication regarding the employment opportunity
- Sign your name in black ink
How do I use a Thank You Letter?
To use a Thank You Letter:
- Complete a Thank You Letter following every interview. Ensure that it is personalized to use information learned from the interview (i.e. company history, job details, etc.)
- Send a Thank You Letter to an interview within 1-2 business days after the interview.
The following downloads are available for use:
The following provides a listing of sample templates, documents, articles and other resources to help you in carrying out your duties and managing your worksite. It is expected that the documents will be amended to suit the styles, needs and circumstances of the individual, or company, involved. These resources are not intended to replace an individual’s, or a company’s, professional and skillful judgement. Each template, document and article and other resource should be assessed within the context of the individual’s, or company’s own day-to-day operation. Individuals and companies must exercise proper judgment respecting the correctness and applicability of the material. Hard Hat Hunter accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions, and expressly disclaims any such responsibility.