Wind farms use turbines to harness energy from the wind. This source of electricity is taking the utility industry by storm.
Check out some of the world’s most notable wind farms:
1. Alta Wind Energy Center
Energy Produced: Upon completion, the farm will produce 1,550 MW of energy.
- World’s second largest on-shore wind farm
- Will consist of up to 600 turbines
- Farm land is 3,200 acres
2. Wild Horse Wind Farms- Kittitas County, Washington, USA
Where: Kittias County, Washington, U.S.A.
Energy Produced: 273MW
- Towers are 67m tall with blades that are 39m long
- Wind farm spread across 10,000 acres
- Generates enough energy to power 63,000 homes
3. Barrow Offshore Wind Farms
Where: East Irish Sea, U.K.
Energy Produced: 90MW
- Owned by DONG Energy
- 30 turbine wind-farm
- Built between 2005-2006
Where: Roscoe, Texas, U.S.A
Energy Produced: 781.5MW
- Site area of approximately 100,000 acres
- Owned by E.ON Climate and Renewables
- Largest onshore wind farm in the world
5. Horse Hollow Wind Energy Center
Where: Taylor & Nolan Counties, Texas, U.S.A.
Energy Produced: 735MW
- Farm area is over 47,000 acres
- Owned by InvestEnergyGroup
- 421 operational turbines
6. San Gorgonio Pass
Where: Riverside County, California, U.S.A.
Energy Produced: 615MW
- Development began in the 1980s
- 3,218 operational units
- One of three major wind farms in California
Where: Benton County, Indiana, U.S.A.
Energy Produced: 750MW
- Approximately 350 operational turbines
- Owned jointly by BP Alternative Energy North America and Dominion Resources
- Generates enough to power 200,000 homes