What is a Cover Letter?
A Cover Letter is essentially an introduction to your resume. It is typically included as a single page document along with the resume.
Why do I need a Cover Letter?
A Cover Letter is an excellent tool to use when applying for a job, serving to:
- Introduce yourself and your skills to a potential employer
- Indicate the position for which you are applying
- Detail why you are qualified for the position
- Reiterate your contact information
How do I use a Cover Letter?
Submit a cover letter in addition to a resume to potential employers.
Cover Letter Format
Be concise. State why you are a good fit for the job. Include skills, personal traits, and relevant work history or experiences that make you a good match for the position and the company.
Reiterate why you’d be a great fit with the company. Include preferred method of communication for interview purposes.
Cover Letter Tips
- Use the same formatting as your resume
- Bullets are an excellent tool to highlight key skills
- Make positions or titles stand out: capitalize the first letter or make the font bold
- Don’t use “to whom it may concern”, find out who will be the recipient!
Get the Template:
The following provides a listing of sample templates, documents, articles and other resources to help you in carrying out your duties and managing your worksite. It is expected that the documents will be amended to suit the styles, needs and circumstances of the individual, or company, involved. These resources are not intended to replace an individual’s, or a company’s, professional and skillful judgement. Each template, document and article and other resource should be assessed within the context of the individual’s, or company’s own day-to-day operation. Individuals and companies must exercise proper judgment respecting the correctness and applicability of the material. Hard Hat Hunter accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions, and expressly disclaims any such responsibility.