These days, most people carry around a cell phone in their pocket. Unfortunately, they often take them out and text when they should be concentrating on another task. Simply walking can become dangerous when your attention is on texting, and the Brain Injury Institute concludes that “texting while driving is like drinking 4 beers” and Simplified Safety compares it to walking blindfolded.
Worksites are obviously much more dangerous than a city sidewalk. Walking, driving and operating machinery on a worksite can have disastrous results. It is essential that you have a cell phone policy for your worksite.
Here are a few tips on how to develop and implement a mobile device policy.
What you should include:
- No mobile device use including while engines are running on any kind of motor vehicle or machinery.
- This includes talking, texting, emailing, browsing, gaming, or use of any other feature.
- Any mobile device usage must be done outside the work zone.
- This may require additional signage at work sites.
How to implement the new policy:
- Provide training to employees and supervisors.
- Distribute a written policy to all employees and require each of them to sign off.
- Enforce the policy in a fair and consistent manner